I had a pretty underwhelming response of "Because I like kids."
There is more to it than that, but as you know, I like to think things out for myself before I share my thoughts with everyone else.
Closing in on the end of my first year teaching, this is what I've decided:
- I love my job because I like being a safe and supportive environment for my students.
- I love my job because I want to have a hand in shaping kind, hard-working, dependable people.
- I love my job because it's different every day.
- I love my job because my students teach me more than I teach them.
- I love my job because there is no feeling in the world quite like watching a student take pride in her accomplishments and work.
- I love my job because it requires me to give my best every day.
- I love my job because students trust me to help them with English, their lives, and bizarre questions like whether chickens are cannibals or not (they can be, by the way).
- I love my job because I can admit that I don't know an answer and we can learn together.
- I love my job because even on my toughest days, there are students who go out of their way to make me smile.
- I love my job because even if my kids don't remember how to write a claim, they will remember the way that I've treated them.
- I love my job because I am a kinder, funnier, and more patient person when I am with my students. I become a better version of myself.
-Language Arts Department Teacher