What is English II ?
Macbeth: Psychology and sociology of
1. Control theory: deviant behavior occurs when external controls on behavior are weak. People act rationally, but if given the chance to be deviant, they will.
i. Definition & explaining deviance
ii. Several Theories summarized
iii. Deviance & Control Theory
2. Post-traumatic stress disorder: is an anxiety disorder that may develop after a person is exposed to one or more traumatic events, such as sexual assault, serious injury, or the threat of death.
i. National Institutes of Health [Link]
ii. Mayo Clinic [Symptoms, treatment, etc]
iii. BBC News [diagnosis & accuracy]
iv. Macbeth and PTSD
v. Macbeth PTSD Adaptation
vi. 2014 Fort Hood Shooting (includes video)
3. Self fulfilling prophecy: is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prophecy itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior.
i. History/Definition of
ii. Example in Education (Rosenthal)
iii. Example: How Overconfidence and Paranoia become
iv. Student Sample Essay of
4. Cognitive dissonance: the excessive mental stress and discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time. This stress and discomfort may also arise within an individual who holds a belief and performs a contradictory action or reaction. For example, an individual is likely to experience dissonance if he or she is addicted to smoking cigarettes and continues to smoke despite believing it is unhealthy
i. CD definition of and examples
ii. Cognitive Dissonance & Macbeth
iii. Washing your hands reduces Cognitive Dissonance J
iv. Sleep and Cognitive Dissonance/Fear
5. Paranoid schizophrenia: causes its victims to lose touch with reality. They begin to hear, see, or feel things that aren't really there and/or become convinced of things that simply aren't true.
i. Mayo clinic definition of, symptoms, causes, etc [comprehensive]
ii. Case Study in: Shonda
iii. Case Study in: Gerald [includes videos}
iv. Macbeth’s curse: the Link Between sleeplessness and Paranoia Identified
v. Blog connecting Macbeth to paranoia
vi. Study Links Violent Video Games and ‘The Macbeth Effect’
6. Narcissistic Personality Disorder: is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. This condition affects one percent of the population. First formulated in 1968, it was historically called megalomania, and is severe egocentrism.
i. Mayo Clinic (comprehensive) Definition
ii. “Beware of Mr. Baker” Case study of NPDI
iii. More connections to (academic journal)
iv. NPD and Macbeth (college thesis)
7. Priming(psychology & economics) exposure to one stimulus influences a response to another stimulus. It refers to activating particular representations or associations in memory just before carrying out an action or task. For example, a person who sees the word 'yellow' will be slightly faster to recognize the word 'banana.'
i. Definition of (Comprehensive)
ii. Example in Mass Communication
iii. Priming Case Examples, summary, related to video games